The Student News Site of McAnally Middle School

The Rewind

The Rewind

The Rewind

Downtown Competitors
January 11, 2024
Traveling
Traveling
December 14, 2023
Fall Break Travels
Fall Break Travels
December 13, 2023
Ideal Outfit
Ideal Outfit
December 13, 2023

Recognizing Amazing Teachers: Kathy Newell

Brandt Whiteside
Teach! In her classroom, 8th grade math teacher, Kathy Newell, helps students. She has wanted to be a teacher since kindergarten. “Seeing students succeed, when kids tell me that they could go with me to high school, it tells me I’m doing something right.”

8th-grade teacher Kathy Newell is teaching an algebra class. The rows of tables are set in twos, and the tables are all filled. She’s teaching at her desk and the students follow along with their notes and a pencil. 

Since the beginning of the year,  Newell has taught five Algebra classes and one 7th-grade math class. But she only wishes for the best for her 7th grade class, though it may be hard, “I want to make it easy for them,” Newell said.

She would even allow her 7th graders to come in the middle of class, after school on Wednesdays, or during their flex with lunch. 

“I don’t have your flex, lunch, a lot of times athletes can come before school for help. For scheduling purposes- yes, it is hard.” 

Newell is proud of her job and loves seeing her students succeed.

“Yes, it’s that light bulb too like they finally get it. And it helps build confidence. If they can do one thing, it helps them do more.” 

Her students feel the same way, “I feel like she’s a great teacher, I’m happy she’s teaching 7th grade,”  7th Grader Garret Wheeler said.

Mrs. Newell is a fantastic example of determination and care. She loves every she has with her students and is excited to go to work every day. 

“Seeing students succeed when kids tell me that they could go with me to high school, it tells me I’m doing something right.”