The Student News Site of McAnally Middle School

The Rewind

The Rewind

The Rewind

Salvia Palth Review
April 17, 2024
Uniforms: Good or not?
Uniforms: Good or not?
April 17, 2024

Sports Safety

Should you be more worried about your safety in sports?
B. Burke
Watching Out. Leighton Estrada and Kaylie Shaffer are watching the Football Game for any injuries. The game was the 2023 Aledo vs McAnally 8th grade Football game.

According to the CSP, the number of males playing sports has decreased by 10%, over the past 7 years. The number of females playing sports has also decreased by 3%.

A major cause of this could be athletes’ fear of injury. According to the National Library Of Medicine, 91% of athletes get injured at one point or another. Recently, a lot of scary studies have been coming out about injuries’ possible effects on the body. For example, a study came out that showed that 90% of NFL players had CTE. This has caused a lot of fear among parents and kids.

Coach Barnett, the trainer at McAnally Middle School, does not think this should stop kids from playing sports.

“As long as the kids have decent form, there is not much need to worry,” Barnett said.

Many sports, like basketball, have a lot of common injuries.

“With proper rehab and prevention, these injuries should not have permanent effects,” she said.

If you are trying to stay safe, one of the most important things is nutrition. This includes the food you eat and how hydrated you are.

“It’s like fueling a car. If you don’t fuel your car it won’t go,” she said.

It’s like fueling a car. If you don’t fuel your car it won’t go.

— Bailey Barnett

Often, to prevent future injuries, many athletes have to sit out.

“They love their sport, but safety is most important”.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Rewind

Your donation will support the student journalists of McAnally Middle School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.