The Student News Site of McAnally Middle School

The Rewind

The Rewind

The Rewind

Salvia Palth Review
April 17, 2024

Dancing for Spirit

Dance team practices routine for fall show
Leighton Estrada
5, 6, 7, 8! Dancing for Coach Kathryn Reeves, 8th graders Ruby Wilson and Destiny Deason lifts Selah Rabalais. During class students learned their routine for the fall show. “Being lifted Is kinda scary, but also its also really fun,” Said Rabalais.

Opening the doors of the dance class, hearing the roaring sound of the music and repeated counting flooded the room. Seeing Dance Coach Kathryn Reeves demonstrating for her 1st-period class. For Coach Reeves, dance is a huge part of school spirit, but a lot of people don’t know about the team. 

“I love that students that danced with me may never dance again know the basics of dance, like flexibility, healthiness, and love for music,” Reeves said. Reeves has been teaching dance for 18 years, she’s been teaching public school for 10 years and studio dance for 8 years.

“I have to know my students. Some students get motivated by grades so I use extra credit, some get motivated by what places they get, and some get motivated by actively comparing,” Reeves said. Reeves chose to teach dance halfway through college because she loved it so much and she didn’t want to leave the dance industry.

“I wanted a spot on the team because I was new to the school and I thought it would be a good way to make new friends,” 8th grader Channing Whipple. Whipple moved from Portland, Oregon. She lived there for years and moved here this summer.

Reeves has some advice for anyone who wants to join the dance team.  “If you can get into studio classes do that. Stretch every day. Come to football games and see what it would be like,” Reeves said.